Take a look...
The creator took 500-1000hours working on this, and that really explains why this video is so awesome! I've watched this more than 10 times and I can NEVER get sick of it! Once you've seen it, you'll just fall in love with it! SO this is what love at first sight means! I really love how he took note of every little detail, and just how everything fits so well with the song. THUMBS UP X100! :D This will be THE inspiration for my assignment, although I'm not sure whether I'm able to produce something like that (if I could, I can probably quit school)...but well, it always helps to aim high! Okay, now I just hope I don't try to kill myself trying to meet my own expectations.
ANYWAY, I've got to say that this is the assignment that I've been looking forward to since the start of this semester (although I have zero knowledge about After Effects), after being inspired by the "Shop Vac" video! It really made me want to challenge myself and push myself to try to create something just as good. So right at the start of the semester, I've started paying close attention to the songs playing on radio on my way to school and back home, hoping that a song will inspire me. Like Jia Sheng mentioned during the previous class on Kinetic Typography, you will know that it's THE song when you're able to visualize in your head the way it will turn out.
& here's the list of songs that I had actually considered...
1. Travie McCoy - We'll Be Alright
2. Katy Perry - Fireworks
3. Katy Perry - California Girls
4. Katy Perry - Teenage Dream
5. Maroon 5 - Hands All Over
6. O.A.R. - Shattered
7. Lady Gaga ft. Beyonce - Telephone
8. Coldplay - Viva la Vida
9. Noah and the Whale - 5 years time
OKAY, so after much deliberation, the chosen song would be *drum roll*...CALIFORNIA GIRLS by KATY PERRY!
& here's the part of the lyrics that I will be using...
Greetings, loved ones
Lets take a journey
I know a place
Where the grass is really greener
Warm, wet, and wild
There must be something in the water
Sipping gin and juice
Laying underneath the palm trees
The boys
Break their necks
Try'na creep a little sneak peek
At us
You could travel the world
But nothing comes close
To the golden coast
Once you party with us
You'll be falling in love
Ooh Oh Ooh
GUESS WHAT, I've spent an entire night looking through more than 200pages of fonts from dafont.com, hoping to find fonts that are suitable. IT'S NOT AN EASY JOB! & yes, hard work does pay off! I managed to find some really awesome fonts that fit perfectly! BUT my eyes were really groggy after that! @.@
Alright, so here's a sketch of my draft! :)

I've just finished doing my draft out on PS, hopefully my AE knowledge is good enough for me to materialize what I've created on PS. Anyway, I will not put my draft up just yet. Heh heh keep y'all in suspense until class! :D
Ohya, here's another kinetic typography video that Jia Sheng introduced to me just a few days ago. I think it's pretty awesome too!
* EDITED at a later time
Okay, so I'm done with my kinetic typography assignment, & I feel pretty satisfied with it for a first attempt :D I'm not sure if I'll be editing further for the final portfolio submission...let's see the responses from people before deciding! The previous tutorial session didn't allow us much time to give each other concrete comments, so hopefully there will be a critique session soon. Anyway, I realised once you've got all your layout ready in After Effects, the main thing you'll be doing is camera movement for this assignment. I gotta say the learning curve is really steep! I was spending more time watching Youtube videos than actually getting down to work! But after you've gotten the hang of it, it'll actually seem pretty logical :) Special thanks to Eng Chye for helping me to install After Effects onto my laptop, otherwise the poor me would have to be camping in school to work on this assignment...& the labs are not open on weekends? & thanks to Luo Lan for explaining to me and teaching me tricks to be used for After Effects, I'm super appreciative!
Okay, so promised I will showcase my PS draft. Sorry for the delay, I was too engrossed in AE that I'd forgotten to put them up over the weekend :/
Here they are now...















If I didn't remember wrongly from the previous seminar session, Julian mentioned that there was just too many colours for the background which might become a problem if the song is too fast. However, being inspired from the Shop Vac video, I felt the different background colours looked fine, plus the tempo for my song is not exceptionally fast such that all that colours might just get you blinded. Anyway, I've used the ramp effect in AE to create some sort of gradient for every scene, firstly to darken the colours a little so they don't appear too blinding, and secondly to provide some form of link between the scenes such that they don't appear too disjointed.
Alright, so without further ado, here's the 'final' product! Hope y'all will like it :D
0 comments:
Post a Comment